SEATS held its quarterly meeting at Canberra Airport on the 9th & 10th November 2017.
The meeting was held over two days and the Delegates Dinner was well attended by over 40 delegates/members and guests from NSW, Victoria, Queensland and the ACT.
The Theme of the Conference was “Transport Demand in the South East NSW Region to Progress Economic Development”
The following four presentations were given by invited guest speakers:
- – What’s happening at Canberra Airport and the role of transport links with freight and tourism – Mr Noel McCann, Director of Planning at Canberra Airport.
- – Unlocking options for efficient logistics infrastructure in Australian agriculture – Stephen McFallen, Senior Experimental Scientist from the CSIRO.
- – Increasing the economic return from domestic and international visitation to Canberra and the South East – Jonathan Kobas from Visit Canberra and
- – Driving the growth of the visitor economy in southern NSW and linkages with Canberra – Mr Shane O’Leary from “Destination Southern NSW”.
The presentations were followed by:
- – A panel discussion on “What are the key tourist transport connections that need to be improved to connect the South East.”
- – A presentation that outlined Dr Mike Kelly MP, Member for Eden-Monaro, vision to unleash the potential of the Region under four pillars of an economic strategy bringing
- together a number of critical projects of national significance.
Ordinary General Meeting Business:
- The following were discussed and presented:
- – Victorian Regional Roads Strategy and the development of a new Freight Plan for Victoria
- – The Gippsland Regional Roads Group priority projects ($160m) – CEO Alison Leighton.
- – The progress of the SEATS Petition launched in November.
- – An update from Mr Tim Hansen from the National Heavy Vehicle Regulators Office.
- – Automated Vehicles in Rural Areas – Graham McCabe from GHD.
- – SEATS Chair Cr Patricia White provided a report on her attendance at the National Roads Conference in Perth.
At our dinner:
- – The guest speaker was Brendan Smyth, Act Commissioner for International Engagement.
- – An “Inspirational Leadership Award” was presented to two long serving SEATS delegates, Mrs Sue Whelan OAM and Mr Harvey Dinelli.
- – SEATS has now confirmed the hosting arrangements for 2018.
- – We are now looking for hosts for 2019.
- – South Gippsland Shire and Bass Coast Shire will jointly host the 14th & 15th February 2018 meeting.
- – The May 17th & 18th Meeting will be hosted by Shellharbour City Council.
- – Baw Baw Shire will host the 16th & 17th August 2018 Meeting.
- – The November 2018 Meeting will be hosted by RMS Southern in Wollongong. Thank you once again for your support.
We are Looking forward to seeing everyone at the next meeting in Victoria in February 2018.